Birchip History Museum
Birchip Historical Society Inc
PO Box 35 Birchip VIC 3483
Phone Elaine 5492 2691 or Dorothy 5399 0564
Open on Request for individual enjoyment or group tours
The Museum is situated in the old Court House, built in 1914. This building was also the residence of the clerk of courts for several years.
The building was condemned in 1988, however, a few enterprising people rebuilt the interior with funding received from grants.
During 1989 the Museum was opened and then in 2000 an archives and meeting room was built.
What to See
And much more
Special attractions and displays
The ‘Paddock to Port' exhibition was recently on display at the Birchip Museum. It comprised more than thirty large photographs of wheat and wool production in the Mallee and Wimmera, its transport by train to Point Gellibrand and loading on to ships berthed at three piers in Williamstown's then thriving port up until the 1930's.
The exhibition was organised by the Williamstown Maritime Association (WMA) in conjunction with the Point Gellibrand Park Association, Hobsons Bay City Council and the Buloke Shire Council to celebrate the important link that Williamstown shared with rural Victoria which has been re-ignited by the Hobsons Bay City Council and Buloke Shire Council alliance.
The exhibition opened in Williamstown in June 2008 and remained on display at Seaworks for about four months before it came to the Buloke Shire. The photographs are a fantastic depiction of the days when wheat was harvested by horse-drawn machinery and hauled to railheads by wooden wagons. The photographs educated the visitors in the city about Victoria's rich agricultural history and it gave them a greater understanding of agricultural production and the role it played in the early prosperity of Victoria.